Friends of the Conservatory is looking for people to join our board of directors! We have four board seats open for 2022. We are especially seeking people with experience in fundraising and grant writing, marketing and communications, and business development, but enthusiastically welcome anyone, with any background, who is passionate about our mission and work.
Summary of Organization
Friends of the Conservatory is a non-profit organization based in Seattle, Washington that facilitates public access to Volunteer Park Conservatory. We advocate for preservation of our historic structure and grounds, engage the public through educational events and programming, and offer opportunities for intimately connecting to nature. We work closely with Seattle Parks & Recreation to protect and preserve our plant collection for future generations to enjoy.
In 2022, FOC is working through a notable transitional and transformational period. We restructured our organization and are now in the process of shaping a new vision and strategic plan for the future, while anticipating hiring a bold and visionary new executive director this fall. We recognize the critical need to rethink the way we have worked in order to ensure we can continue to facilitate public access to the Volunteer Park Conservatory for years to come.
Come be a part of the transformation of this organization!
Board Service at Friends of the Conservatory
Board members are committed volunteers who share a passion for the Friends of the Conservatory’s mission and strategic priorities. We want our board members to enjoy volunteering and feel valued for their commitment. We aspire to model a collaborative and transparent culture that encourages growth and ongoing learning opportunities. We strive to plan meetings and events that are heart-felt, meaningful, and make effective use of your time and expertise.
Currently, we are seeking applicants with background/experience in:
- Fundraising and/or grant writing
- Nonprofit Management
- Marketing & Communications
- Business Development
- Growing community partnerships
Board members commit to:
• serve a three-year term.
• attend 11 board meetings each year.
• attend the annual fundraiser and other events as requested.
• participate in one of the standing committees or an ad hoc committee/task force.
• be a compelling year-round ambassador for FOC.
• make a personally meaningful annual financial gift and support fundraising efforts.
• keep up to date on organizational programs, news, financials, and events essential to being an effective member.
What if I haven’t served or worked on a nonprofit board before?
We are committed to having a diverse community of voices supporting our organization. Even if you do not have prior nonprofit experience, our board engages in on-going group learning at our board meetings. We also have lots of other opportunities to get involved as a volunteer if board service isn’t quite the right fit right now!
- Know that you make a real difference in the community by playing a key role in ensuring that there is continued public access to the Conservatory.
- Leadership development opportunities and training, including building expertise in board governance and budgeting, community organizing, event planning, and so forth.
- Build relationships with a broad spectrum of individuals that are connected to Friends of the Conservatory
How to learn more
If you have any questions, please reach out to Board President, Caitlin Pontrella, at Caitlin@volunteerparkconservatory.org